Skip to content

General feedback for InqScribe

Welcome to our feedback forum. What do you want to do with InqScribe? Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

125 results found

1. 19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Alex Underwood responded

While InqScribe can read and control digital media files saved on a data DVD disc, it does not currently support the DVD format. We will consider DVD support for a future release of InqScribe.

In the meantime, we recommend a workaround that involves converting your DVD to a standard media file. There are a number of free options for Windows and Mac, such as Handbrake, that will create an InqScribe-friendly MPEG4 video file from your DVD. Once you’ve converted your media to MPEG4, simply locate the file through InqScribe’s “Select Media Source…” dialog.

2. discontinuous timecode support

Add support for discontinuous timecode, when there are multiple items on one tape that show jumps in the visible timecode.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for writing in the request! Discontinuous timecodes are a tricky subject, which we try to address in the following article: http://support.inqscribe.com/knowledgebase/articles/18059-does-inqscribe-support-discontinuous-timecodes

With that said, we will look into solutions for discontinuous timecodes if there’s enough support behind it.

In the meantime, you can adjust the start time of a transcript or adjust a set of specified time codes. Details in our User Guide here: http://docs.inqscribe.com/2.2/transcriptiontips.html#adjusting

3. to have inqscribe to recognize tc on mp3 files

It will be nice if inqscribe could recognise ID3 TC in mp3 files embedded on the metadata. MP3 are smaller and have a fast download /upload time.

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  time code  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for writing in the suggestion. If the idea gets enough votes, we’ll consider adding support for MP3 timecode recognition!

4. Scroll text up/down several lines when cursor reaches bottom/top of the text area

Look at what happens in OpenOffice Writer. When the cursor reaches the top or the bottom of the text area (moving it with the up and down arrow keys or simply typing lines of text downwards) the block cursor+text is scrolled down or up (respectively) to "reposition" the used part of the text area near the vertical center of the window. This is very useful when typing, for example, because prevents the user typing all the time at the bottom of the window. Part of this behaviour (i.e. when typing at the bottom of the text area, and not when…

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Transcripts  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Save subtitle settings

It would be helpful if you could save and load your subtitled settings instead of having to re-input them every time. Especially great when subtitling hundreds of MOV's with the same width/height!

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Subtitles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow for <--Comments--> in the transcript

Add the ability to type in info, like the name of the current speaker, or scene numbers in a way that will be ignored when you export the XML. For example, in HTML, <--you simply bracket the comment like this-->.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Great idea. We’ll consider a comment feature for a future update. Thanks for the suggestion!

7. Add an extra export option to make it compatible with MAXQDA.

It needs rtf files with the timestamp at the end. MAXQDA recommend using F4 from audiotranskritpion.de, but I prefer inqscribe.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion. We’ll look into MAXQDA support for a future update of InqScribe.

8. Add password protection to .inq files

We use this program for our research with human subjects. For security sake, add a password protection on files. Right now, I have to move the files into an encryption folder, then extract them when I want to use the file again. Adding encryption or password protection directly on the .inq files would be more efficient.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Transcripts  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for writing in the suggestion. If this idea gets enough votes, we’ll consider it for a future update!

9. scrub audio frame by frame

Be great to be able to jog back and forth frame by frame hearing the audio, for frame-accurate transcripts.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for writing in the suggestion. If this idea gets enough votes, we’ll consider it for a future update!

10. Automatic Play+Pause+Skipback

It could be useful to have a second kind of playback speed control, that works only with the pause and the rewind functions, instead of really slowing down the speed of playback. I'm thinking of something like this: I click play and, after 10 seconds of playback, InqScribe automatically pauses for 5 seconds, then it starts the playback again; then, after other 10 seconds it pauses again for 5 seconds, and so on, looping this process until I manually click stop or pause. (The values in seconds are given only for example: I imagine that they would be customizable through…

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  shortcuts  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add support for multi-track audio

Add the ability to playback and control multi-track audio, each with their own slider to adjust their own volume levels.

Users would be able to import the video to transcript with the option to also import the individual audio tracks. For a 5.1 sound track, there would be 6 mono tracks (Left, Right, Center, LFE, LS and RS). Being able to filter out audio effects and other unwanted noise would save a lot of time as well as greatly increase the transcript's accuracy.

Another potential use: For the Record makes courtroom recording systems which produce WAV files containing four channels…

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Batch export

Add the ability to export to a certain format several Inqscribe files at once. Exporting a whole card full of Inqscribe transcripts one by one takes FOREVER.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add right-to-left paragraph option, like for Hebrew and Arabic languages

Without this support, transcribing Hebrew and Arabic languages could be messy, especially in case of long sentences or several sentences in one dialog.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Unpin video window from text window

You should be able to unpin the video window from the text window so you can place in a secondary window. I personally want to use your software for court presentation by clicking on the timecode and immediately playing back for the jury. Right now I have to note the time code then pull up the video in a separate player and cue to the correct time.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion Andrew. I see how unpinning the video window would be really useful for presentation scenarios. We will consider this for a future update of InqScribe.

Your second suggestion about embedding subtitles within the playback window is actually covered in the following suggestion: http://support.inqscribe.com/forums/4206-general-feedback-for-inqscribe/suggestions/3057491-preview-subtitled-movies

Feel free to place your votes there! I’ve edited this part out of the description to keep these ideas separate.

15. add a snippets counter, so you can see how many lines a characters has.

If you translate a script with different characters, you always want to know have many lines a certain actors has for planing your studio time. so it would be great if you could add a "snippets line counter" under the "Transcript" menu, and also be able to choose the line count of different snippets.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  shortcuts  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for writing in the request! I see how it would be useful for studio time management. We’ll keep this idea under review. If there’s enough support for the feature we will consider adding it in a future update.

16. 11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Transcripts  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for writing in the request! We don’t currently support automatic timecodes every xx seconds because words would get jumbled, coming out like th[00:00:11.11]is. So, your suggestion could provide a neat solution. We will consider it for a future InqScribe update.

Note that you can lay down timecodes every xx seconds before you start typing. Read how in our Knowledge Base: http://support.inqscribe.com/knowledgebase/articles/22885-can-i-automatically-insert-a-timecode-in-a-series

We also offer some general timecode insertion tips here: http://support.inqscribe.com/knowledgebase/articles/171934-can-i-automatically-insert-timecodes-at-regular-ti

17. Avid Caption Format Export

I'm wondering how difficult it might be to support the Avid DS caption format. It is a very simple unicode text file with no separators other than spaces and line returns. Sample below.

<begin subtitles>

04:00:08:00 04:00:42:22
    Text line 1
    Text line 2

04:00:42:22 04:00:51:00
    Text line 1
    Text line 2

<end subtitles>

This format is supported for captioning within Avid non-linear video editing software including Avid DS and Avid Media Composer.

cheers,
    tod

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. add live statistics of transcription progress

I need to be motivated! 50 hours of audio to transcribe leaves me a bit overwhelmed. It would be great to have an optional window that shows things like my current # words transcribed per minute, my total # transcribed words and # minutes completed so far today, and other days this week (and the record to beat!), and a monthly progress chart. This should be really simple to implement, but could really make a difference in my work awareness and motivation.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for writing in your request! We will consider adding in some live stats for a future update.

19. Add standard TimeCode format support on insert

In understand the reasoning for using a . before frames when inserting timecode rather than a ; ... but it breaks the ability to import text files created in inqscribe into programs like ProTools.

Would be great to have that be customizable, so that the timecode format was selectable - allowing you to use all colons (even before frames) or all semi-colons, etc.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  6 comments  ·  time code  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Overlapping Timecode search

Having overlapping timecodes in the transcript will trigger an error when opening the XML in Final Cut Pro. Then you have to go back and painstakingly look for the error. Have InqScribe highlight the timecode if the next timecode you add isn't at least 1 frame later.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a great idea. We realize scanning every timecode can be a painstaking process. We will consider adding a “highlight overlapping timecode” feature in a future update.

• Don't see your idea?

General feedback for InqScribe

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base